Tuesday, February 17, 2009

walking into sweet oblivion..

i'm not sure how i've survived without greg dulli in my life. good thing he has so much music that it will probably take me quite awhile to digest it all. i bought black love, an afghan whigs album from 1996, at easy street records yesterday, and i'm already pretty postitive that it won't leave my cd player anytime in the foreseeable future (except perhaps for other afghan whigs/twilight singers/etc.. albums i may acquire).

i listened to black love all yesterday afternoon, i listened to it on the bus to work, i listened to it during lunch, i listened to it on the bus home, and i'm listening to it right now. that voice - my god, that voice. that is almost always the first thing i notice about a band. my cd case is full of bands with singers whose voices are like home to me - eddie vedder, micheal stipe, glen hansard, etc... and now i will add greg dulli to that list. because i can tell already that that's what it will be.



even though black love came out in the middle of the 90s, it does not seem dated to me. in fact, i'm not even sure how to describe what it does sound like - and that's probably why i like it so much. i can definately imagine my angst-filled 16 year old self listening to it alone in her bedroom. but this is also the kind of music that gets under my skin now , and i think there's something to be said about that. i also think there's something to be said for the lyrics greg dulli writes. i'm sure i'll have more to say about that after i listen to the album another 20 times, but for now i'll just say that i've had these lyrics running through my head all day:
go to town, burn it down, turn around
and get your stroll on baby
i'll get the car
you get the match and gasoline


the twilight singers - bonnie brae (i am so in love with this song)

No comments: