Sunday, April 12, 2009

i can't believe i got so far with a head so empty

every time i think to myself that i'm going to post something in my blog, i end up getting distracted (usually by my new addiction to facebook) and forgetting. what an excuse...

last night, i had an awesome time seeing the thermals . their songs make me smile and want to jump up and down (although last night i watched them from the upper bar at neumos - the first time i've stood up there - and was kind of glad that i wasn't down in the crush of bodies pushing on each other. does that make me an old lady?) this is how they describe themselves on their website: "since the summer of fear and hate (2002), we, the thermals, have been cranking out 3 minute, no-fi sonic gems with a neo-grunge attitude." they go on to describe their new album as "post-power pop." i really have no idea what that means, but it makes me laugh.

and they put on a really fun live show. i don't think i've enjoyed myself so much in a long time - plus, their short song lengths (2-3 minutes) lend themselves to my attention span. here's them playing st. rosa and the swallows (from their last album, the body, the blood, the machine) at south by southwest last month:

2 comments:

Kristine Rosenborg said...

MEGAN! I can not believe you are hooked on FACEBOOK! How could you? I want to post more on your blog now that I have some extra time but your not POSTING! I miss it!
Anyways, I wish I got to to see them... I really like them. When's our next show???

megan said...

i know, i know. i miss my blog. you join facebook, missy! i'll post something about eddie vedder soon, how's that?
the thermals are GREAT. they'll be at the capitol hill block party in july, but they are from portland and i wouldn't be adverse to taking a road (or train:) trip to see them... are you free may 2nd? it's a saturday. i have NO idea if there are still tickets, but i'm going to see mike mccready (PJ guitarist) (et. al) at the showbox. wanna come????:) come on, it's the showbox!! i'll buy you a drink!